It has been quite some time since we reconvened for our Cooking with the Soom Crew series! The winter holidays put a halt to this weekly affair, but we’re excited to reintroduce it as a monthly team building activity. How great is it that our first “meal” in 2018 is focused on Super Bowl treats? You know, since the Philadelphia Eagles, our home team, is playing in the game?!
Emil and I started planning for this day back in October 2017! We came across some delicious dips and began brainstorming additional ones that we thought were suited for the Super Bowl. Not going to lie, it was hard for us to contain our excitement. However, we tried waiting patiently until later in January 2018 to whip up these treats and share them with you.
We paired sweet and savory dips with Philly Pretzel Factory pretzel rivets (the absolute BEST!), chicken nuggets, and red peppers and carrots — all classics that are served at a typical Super Bowl party. (Even Bon Appetit picked up on this trend.)
Here’s what we made:
This dip is SO simple and SO good. Just add buffalo sauce (we used a Louisiana hot sauce) to tahini, and bam – you’ve got this punchy, hot dip that is so freakin’ tasty with essentially any accompaniment! Depending on how much of this sauce/dip you want, note that you should double the hot sauce to the tahini. So if you use 1 tablespoon of tahini, use 2 tablespoons of hot sauce.
- 1/4 cup Soom Tahini
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and serve.
Loosely based off of Michael Solomonov’s Green Tehina sauce from the Zahav Cookbook (pg. 53), this dip is extremely fresh and vibrant (both on the plate and tongue). Loaded with fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, and chives, this sauce has spunk and insane flavor compared to a typical tahini (or tehina) sauce. It was a bit thinner than the other dips, but it tasted incredible with all of the items we used for dunking.
- 1/2 cup Soom tahini
- 1/4 head of garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ice cold water (add less for thicker consistency)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 2 tbsp chives
- Peel the garlic head and loosely chop up garlic. Place into a food processor or blender.
- Add the lemon juice and half of the salt. Blend on high until you have a thick puree. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl and discard the solid pieces.
- Add the tahini and the cumin to the the strained mixture and place into a food processor or blender. Blend.
- Add ice cold water, one teaspoon at a time to get your desired consistency, and blend.
- Add the remainder of salt and cilanto, parsley, and chives until reaching a creamy green tahini sauce.
- Add additional salt and cumin to taste.
Silan & Tahini Cream Cheese
Oh man, this was one of the most popular dips of the day! Silan is date syrup, and it added such a beautiful note to this cream cheese dip. The dip itself is extremely rich and creamy and offers a slightly nutty and sweet flavor. It paired wonderfully with the pretzel bites! Since it’s a sweeter and dessert-like dip, we don’t recommend you pair this with veggies or meats.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Silan
- 1/6 cup Soom tahini
- Pinch of salt
- Remove cream cheese from its package and heat up for 30 seconds, or until slightly softened. Place into blender.
- Add 1/3 cup silan, 1/6 cup tahini, and salt to the cream cheese and blend on high until creamy.
Pronounced fiesta-hini, this vegan taco dip is super delicious and creamy. The cumin and nutritional yeast hues are vivid and flavorful, making this a fantastic dip for veggies, chicken, or corn chips, like Tostitos or Fritos!
- 1/3 cup Soom tahini
- 3/4 cup medium salsa
- 1/2 cup water, add more for thinner consistency
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy. Taste and add additional salt or flavors, if preferred.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot and place over a low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until it thickens, whisking occasionally.
- Take off place and pour into a bowl.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the fridge to slightly thicken.
Avocado lovers will fall in love with this creamy tahini dip.
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 tbsp Soom Tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground (to taste)
- Using a mortar and pestle or food processor, combine the garlic with ½ teaspoon salt, and mash to a smooth paste.
- Cut the avocados in half, pit them and scoop out the flesh. Add to the garlic and continue to blend or mash until smooth. Add in the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and additional salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately, or set plastic wrap touching the surface of the dip and refrigerate until ready to use.
So we didn’t actually “make” this one, but it’s so yummy paired with pretzels. Whether you use soft pretzel bites or any type of store-bought pretzel, Chocolate Soom is the perfect match! We just scooped some out from the jar.
PS: You only need really 1 jar of 16 oz Soom tahini to create all of these dips. That is, if you used our proportions!
Please note that by submitting this form, you agreed to sign up to our bi-weekly newsletter.