Everything you love about carrot cake in a nutrient-rich, portable breakfast! The batter is enriched with nutty notes of Soom Tahini and studded with sweet pops of dried fruit and walnuts for crunch. Bonus: these speedy muffins are done in just 30 minutes and freeze well for any on-the-go breakfast treat.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup Soom Tahini
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots (from 3-4 large carrots)
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts OR unsweetened coconut flakes
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease all 12 cups of a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Stir well with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, tahini, maple syrup, and vanilla; stir well with a whisk. Add applesauce, grated carrots, walnuts (or coconut flakes); mix well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined (a few lumps are ok). Divide the batter evenly between the greased muffin cups; sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before removing muffins from tins. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.