Top your challah french toast with Soom Tahini and Soom Silan to make your stomach smile! Try this recipe by James Beard Award winner, Chef Zach Engel.
- 8 slices of 1/2 inch-thick challah bread
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 beaten large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of Soom Tahini
- 1 tsp Soom Silan Date Syrup
- Beforehand, leave the challah bread out overnight, uncovered, to stale. If you can’t stale the bread overnight, set the slices on a baking sheet in an oven pre-heated to 200F for 10 minutes.
- Let cool fully before soaking in the egg mixture. In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Soak the challah slices in the egg mixture for 5 minutes. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet and add vegetable oil. Once the butter and oil are hot, fry the soaked bread slices one or two at a time on each side until golden brown.
- Drizzle tahini and silan date syrup on each slice of french toast. Top off with a pinch of sea salt.