Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs is the best, simplest, most flavorful brunch treat! Tortilla chips and shredded cheese are layered in between a quick, smoky tomato sauce, then baked until the cheese is bubbly and golden. The best parts of this uniquely delicious meal are the toppings: tahini chipotle lime crema, red onion, plenty of bright cilantro, and lime!
This recipe was developed by Molly Krebs of Spices in My DNA for Soom.
For the Tahini Chipotle Lime Crema
- 1/4 cup Soom Tahini
- 2 tbsp. sauce from a can of Chipotles in Adobo
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ice-cold water
For the Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sauce from a can of Chipotles in Adobo
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bag of of tortilla chips
- 4 ounces of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- A handful of coarsely chopped cilantro
- Begin by preparing the Tahini Chipotle Lime Crema. In a medium bowl, combine Soom Tahini, sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, hot sauce, and salt. Whisk until smooth. Start by adding 2tsp of ice-cold water, adding more as needed, until the sauce is drizzle-able. Set aside.
- For the Chilaquiles, heat the olive oil in a large, deep, oven-safe pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the entire can of crushed tomatoes, Chipotles in Adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Allow the ingredients to simmer in the pan for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Scoop ¾ cup of the sauce out of the pan and set aside.
- Add 2 handfuls of tortilla chips into the sauce and toss gently until coated. Sprinkle 2 ounces of shredded Cheddar cheese and 2 ounces of shredded Monterey Jack cheese over the chips.
- Add another 2-3 handfuls of tortilla chips, and top with the remaining tomato sauce, spreading it around to make sure all are coated. Top with another 2 ounces of both cheeses.
- Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes (watching carefully!) or until cheese is bubbly and golden. Take out from oven and set aside.
- Fry or cook the eggs to your liking. Dish the eggs on top of the sauce and chip mixture and top with red onion, chopped cilantro, and a generous drizzle of the Tahini Chipotle Lime Crema.
- Serve with extra chipotle tahini, cilantro, and lime wedges!