The beloved brunch dish, Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise, gets a Mediterranean makeover in this weekday-ready recipe. A mix of heart-healthy avocado oil and tahini take the place of butter in hollandaise to create a lighter and healthier version of the original.
For the Tahini Hollandaise
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Soom Tahini
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground sumac
For the Mediterranean Eggs Benedict
- 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 (6oz) bag fresh baby spinach
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 English muffins, halved and toasted
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- Thinly sliced chives for garnish
- To make the tahini hollandaise, begin by heating avocado oil in a small saucepan over low heat to 120ºF.
- Combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper, and sugar in a blender. Blend on low speed until combined.
- With blender running on low speed, gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream. Once all of the oil is combined, increase blender speed to medium and blend for 20 more seconds. Pour hollandaise into a bowl and stir in sumac; set aside.
- Prepare the eggs benedict by heating 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add shallots and tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes start to burst and release their juices, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and turn off heat.
- Fill a medium pot with 3 inches of water. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Crack one egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Stir the water in a clockwise motion, and gently slide egg into the center of the pot. Repeat with up to 4 eggs at a time. Let eggs cook until the whites are just set, but the yolks are still runny, about 4 to 5 minutes. Once poached, use a slotted spoon to remove eggs from water and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels. (Note: As the second round of eggs cook, start toasting the English muffins, and then begin assembling.)
- To assemble, divide tomato and spinach mixture evenly over each toasted English muffin half. Top each half with one poached egg, and spoon Tahini-Hollandaise overtop. Garnish with fresh chopped chives and additional sumac, if desired.