These Healthier Hummingbird Cinnamon Rolls taste like the classic Southern spice cake in a lower-sugar, whole-grain breakfast pastry.
This recipe was created by Jamie Vespa of Dishing Out Health for Soom Foods.
For the dough
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter that has been melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4¼ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt.
For the filling
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 canned crushed pineapple that has been drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp Soom Silan
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the frosting
- 4 oz softened Neufchâtel cheese (light cream cheese)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
- Chopped pecans
- Pour warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle instant dry yeast. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Next, add eggs, sugar, melted butter , and vanilla extract; use the paddle hook to beat until combined.
- Switch to dough hook and add whole-wheat flour and kosher salt. Start on low speed and increase to medium. Knead dough in the standing mixer until a large ball is formed and the dough is mostly smooth, about 5 minutes. If the dough seems too tacky and is not forming a ball, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth ball is formed. Grease a large bowl and place the dough inside.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and put the bowl in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by combining chopped pecans, pineapple, unsweetened coconut flakes, silan, and cinnamon in a bowl; stir in combine.
- Once dough has risen, gently punch the dough to release the gas and transfer dough to a floured work surface. Roll the dough into an 18×12” rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. Spread filling evenly over dough and roll up jelly-roll style. Slice into 12 equal sized rolls and place into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F. Bake cinnamon rolls until golden brown, about 20 to 23 minutes.
- While the rolls bake, prepare frosting by beating softened Neufchâtel cheese (light cream cheese), powdered sugar, pineapple juice until blended. Spread over tops of cinnamon rolls. Sprinkle chopped pecans