This Quick and Easy Tahini Fried Rice with Chicken is a simple, weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. It takes regular fried rice up a notch, thanks to the addition of nutty Soom Tahini. It’s completely customizable too – you can keep it vegan or sub the chicken for the protein of your choice. It’s deep and rich in umami soy flavor, and the creamy tahini complements all of the Asian-inspired flavors beautifully!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- ¾ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-size pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Soom Tahini
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ of a small white onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups cooked white rice (leftover rice is best for this recipe)
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the chicken, season with salt, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to cook the chicken for another 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet you cooked the chicken in. Add the onion and carrots, and season with salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until carrots start to become tender. Add the cooked rice and tahini mixture, and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the frozen peas, cooking for an additional minute or two to heat through.
- Create a well in the middle of the pan, pushing the rice to the sides of the pan. Add the whisked eggs into the well. Cook the eggs, stirring frequently, breaking them up into small pieces. Once cooked through, stir the eggs into the fried rice until combined.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the fried rice, along with the scallions. Stir to combine. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed. Garnish with additional scallions and serve immediately.
Note: To keep this dish vegetarian, omit the chicken. Begin by sautéing the garlic and ginger in one tablespoon of olive oil for 30 seconds – 1 minute, or until fragrant. Skip the chicken step, and next, add the onion and carrots to the garlic/ginger, and continue the recipe as written.