This recipe was developed by Emma’s Torch, a non-profit that is dedicated to empowering refugees through culinary education and job readiness training.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay on top of exclusive promotions, sale announcements, and new and delicious recipes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, pour 1 pack of dry yeast into ½ cup milk at room temperature, mix, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- While the yeast is sitting, in a stand mixer, add ½ cup butter at room temperature, ¼ cup sugar, and 1 tsp salt, and mix with the paddle until it becomes light and foamy. Scrap the bowl and then slowly mix in 2 eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly mix in 2 cups of flour and the milk mixture to the butter mixture, alternating adding half of each at a time. When the dough begins to form, mix for one minute.
- Place the dough in a pan lined with greased parchment paper. Top with plastic wrap and rest in a warm place for at least one hour.
- While you wait, make the silan topping. In a stand mixer, add 1 cup butter at room temperature, 1 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, and ¾ tsp salt and mix with the paddle until it becomes light and foamy. Scrap the bowl and then slowly mix in 1 egg. After that’s well-incorporated, mix in 1 egg yolk until well-incorporated.
- Slowly mix in 1 1/3 cups flour and ½ cup Soom Silan Date Syrup, alternating adding half at a time. Mix for one minute.
- After the cake dough has rested for one hour, top it with the silan mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.