This Vegan Southwest Chopped Salad celebrates color, varied textures, and zesty, Southwest-inspired flavor! It’s filled with all of the best mix-ins like red onion, radishes, black beans, crushed tortilla chips, corn, grape tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. To add even more flavor, the salad gets dressed with a slightly spicy, bright, and herby vegan tahini ranch. Grilled chicken and cheddar cheese make great additions to the salad if you’re looking to add some extra protein.
This recipe was developed by Molly Krebs of Spices in My DNA for Soom.
For the vegan tahini ranch
- ¼ cup Soom Tahini
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey if not strict vegan)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
For the salad
- 6-8 cups chopped romaine
- ⅓ of a large red onion, chopped
- 4-5 small red radishes, chopped
- ¾ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup crushed tortilla chips
- ¾ cup corn (cut off the cob or canned)
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- grilled chicken, optional
- Make the tahini ranch. In a blender or food processor, combine the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, chives, parsley, chili powder, maple syrup or honey, cumin, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, pepper, and cayenne. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed. Set aside.
- Add the romaine to a large mixing bowl. Top with the red onion, radishes, black beans, tortilla chips, corn, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and chicken (if using). Season the salad with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Add desired amount of dressing and toss once more to combine. Serve with extra dressing.