This Mediterranean-inspired Stuffed Eggplant is a vegan entrée or side dish that is chockfull of protein and flavor. Filled to the brim with bright, briny notes and hearty vegetables and grains, these eggplants are just as nutritious as they are flavorful! Top them off with a generous sprinkle of fresh parsley and dill, and a squeeze of fresh lemon to round out the Mediterranean flavors.
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ of a medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ⅓ cup olives of your choice, pitted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cooked Israeli couscous
- 2 tbsp Soom Tahini
- zest of ½ a lemon
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra for serving
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus extra for serving
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Set aside. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Shave off a thin layer of the bottom of each half, to ensure it sits flat on the baking sheet.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh (save it to chop for the filling!), leaving about ½-inch on the insides and bottoms of eggplant halves. Place halves on the baking sheet and rub insides with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Season the cavities with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Chop the eggplant flesh. Heat remaining 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the eggplant, onion, and bell pepper. Season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic, and sauté for an additional minute or two. Add the mushrooms, and sauté for 6-7 more minutes. Stir in the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, cooked couscous, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Scoop the filling into the eggplant halves. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to heat through. Serve with extra chopped herbs and lemon wedges.