This bakery-quality crumb cake is nutritious enough for breakfast, and sweet enough for dessert. The whole-grain base is loaded with warm spices, brightened with lemon zest, and packed with juicy pockets of berries. Finish with a sweet sesame tahini glaze to add extra dimension.
For the Cake
- 1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp Soom Tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries, divided
For the Crumb Topping
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
For the Tahini Glaze
- 2 Tbsp Soom Tahini
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- First prepare the cake batter. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt; whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, milk, tahini, vanilla, and lemon zest; whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries, and transfer mixture to prepared baking pan.
- Next, prepare the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. With a fork (or your fingers), cut in the butter, combing until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the batter, and scatter remaining ½ cup blueberries overtop. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lastly, prepare the tahini glaze by combining tahini and milk in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Add sugar and whisk until smooth. Drizzle tahini glaze over crumb cake, and slice into 9 pieces.