Add these insanely delicious Tahini Thumbprint Cookies with a Date Caramel Filling to your cookie tray this holiday season! Made with Soom Tahini & Soom Silan, we know it’ll be hard to resist seconds and thirds…
Recipe developed for Soom by The Crowded Kitchen.
For the dough
- 2 cups vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup Soom Tahini
- 3 tbsp Soom Silan Date Syrup
- 4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the silan caramel filling
- 10 Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup Soom Silan
- 8 oz melted dark chocolate
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream vegan butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add in tahini and silan date syrup and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten-free all-purpose flour, arrowroot powder, and salt. Slowly incorporate into wet mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour (cover bowl with a tea towel to prevent drying).
- While dough is in the fridge, prepare the silan caramel filling. Pit and soak the Medjool dates for 15 minutes. Drain well and add to blender with silan date syrup. Blend until a very smooth paste forms – you may have to scrape down the sides a few times to fully incorporate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough into balls. Use your hands to roll into a smooth ball and roll in sesame seeds until evenly coated. Press your thumb into the middle of the cookie, forming a deep indentation that goes almost all the way to the bottom of the dough. These cookies tend to spread a bit in the oven, so it’s important to create a deep, narrow indentation.
- Repeat until cookie sheet is full, then bake for 14-16 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges. Let cool at least 20 minutes.
- Fill with silan caramel filling and drizzle lightly with melted dark chocolate.