For a soup that will keep you warm during the cold winter seasons, make our Winter Squash Soup with Tahini. The Za’atar Chickpea Croutons add a nice crunch and flavor with each spoonful.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay on top of exclusive promotions, sale announcements, and new and delicious recipes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Drain and rinse 1 cup cooked chickpeas. If chickpeas are from can, drain, rinse, and pat try. Toss chickpeas with 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp za’atar. Bake in the oven until lightly browned and crisp. About 15-20 minutes. Toss chickpeas halfway through baking.
- Prepare the tahini sauce. In a food processor, combine 1 clove of garlic (minced), 1/4 tsp fine sea salt, a pinch of black pepper, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 cup Soom Tahini, 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, and 2 tbsp ice-cold water and mix until smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 large yellow onion that has been diced and 5 cloves of garlic that have been minced. Cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Peel and de-seed 2 pounds red kuri squash (or winter squash of choice) and cut into 1-inch cubes. Stir in the squash with 1/4 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, and 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add 4 cups vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup with a blender. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve the soup with a healthy drizzle of the tahini sauce, chickpea “croutons”, minced parsley, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.