This chicken shawarma is unbelievably flavorful. It only gets better when stuffed into a warm naan with a generous layer of herbed tahini yogurt sauce, lots of crunchy toppings, feta, and bright fresh herbs. These wraps are low-maintenance, and they’re as good as it gets when it comes to tons of flavor and texture. You won’t want this meal to ever end!
This recipe was developed by Molly Krebs of Spices in My DNA for Soom.
For the marinated chicken
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4-5 pieces of naan
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Sliced cucumber
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Crumbled feta
- Fresh mint
For the tahini yogurt sauce
- 3/4 cup 2% or full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp Soom Tahini
- 1 small clove garlic
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large glass or non-reactive bowl, whisk together the garlic, cumin, paprika, coriander, paprika, salt, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, black pepper, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup olive oil until combined.
- Add the chicken thighs and toss to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours. (The longer the better!)
- Once chicken has marinated, heat a large cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once the pan is heated, add the marinated chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before chopping.
- For the Tahini Yogurt Sauce, blend Greek yogurt, Soom Tahini, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh dill, mint, olive oil, salt, and cracked black pepper in a food processor until they reach a smooth creamy consistency. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Set the Tahini Yogurt Sauce aside
- To assemble, warm up the naan in a lightly oiled skillet until golden brown, soft, and pliable. Spread the Tahini Yogurt Sauce on the warmed naan.
- Stuff with sliced marinated chicken and desired toppings like shredded romaine, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, thinly sliced red onion, crumbled feta, fresh mint and dill
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately with extra tahini yogurt sauce.