Chocolate tahini lends a savory, sophisticated edge to typically oversweet chocolate cupcakes! Pro-tip: don’t skip the dipped strawberry garnish—the burst of fresh fruit helps balance each bite.
For the Chocolate-Tahini Cupcakes
- ¾ cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp milk of choice
For the Garnish
- Fresh strawberries
- Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners, and a 6-cup muffin pan with 2 liners. (Note: you can also re-use the 12-cup muffin pan after the first batch bakes. This recipe makes 14 cupcakes.)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine wet ingredients: eggs, sugars, oil, yogurt, milk, tahini, and vanilla; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Gradually stream wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring gently with a whisk until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Spoon the batter into the liners, filling only halfway. (Do NOT overfill or the cupcakes will sink in the center.) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool completely.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare frosting. Place freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor and process until they break down to a powdery crumb.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand-held mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add freeze-dried strawberry crumbs and 1 cup of sugar; beat on low until combined, about 1 minute. Continue adding sugar in 1 cup increments and milk in 1 Tbsp increments, beating on low speed, until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Dip fresh strawberries in Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 10 to 15 minutes to help set tahini.
- Use a piping bag and tip (or freehand) to frost each chocolate cupcake. Garnish with one chocolate tahini-dipped strawberry.