If your cravings run so deep that you need chocolate first thing in the morning, we highly recommend whipping up a batch of these super chocolatey Double Chocolate Tahini Banana Muffins. They’re gluten-free and perfectly tender. You might even forget they’re secretly good for you! The addition of Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini adds a delicate nuttiness that works perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate chips and bananas. Keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days or place them in the freezer and grab one or two on those mornings when you’re running out the door.
Serve warm for breakfast, brunch, or as a mid-afternoon snack for children and adults.
This recipe was developed by Molly Krebs of Spices in My DNA for Soom.
- 3 medium-large overripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini**
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with liners and spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a high-speed blender, combine bananas, egg, Soom Chocolate Sweet Tahini, maple syrup, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract, oats, cocoa powder, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Blend until smooth – about 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most.*
- Add chocolate chips to the batter and stir to combine with a spoon.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle the tops with extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then lower heat to 350F (leaving the muffins in the oven). Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until muffins are set and spring back when you press on the tops.
- Let muffins cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then let cool for an additional 10 to 15 minutes on a cooling rack.
*Be careful not to overblend or else muffins will get tough.
**If you don’t have the chocolate tahini on hand, make the following adjustments: 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Soom Tahini, 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup,2/3 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder