Look no further for an easy way to add more veggies to your diet! The Roasted Butternut Squash with Orange Tahini, Walnuts, and Za’atar from The Tahini Table combines rusticity with sophistication and leaves you with a show-stopping dish. Top the roasted veg with a bright tahini sauce made with tahini, fresh orange juice, and fresh lemon juice. Then finish it off with a sprinkle of freshly toasted nuts and chopped herbs for a fall dish you’ll be telling the whole family about at your next holiday celebration.
Reprinted with permission from The Tahini Table by Amy Zitelman, Agate Publishing, November 2020.
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into wedges
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large leeks, cut into 1-inch pieces (white and pale green parts)
- ¼ cup Soom Tahini
- 5 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1–2 tbsp water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- Flake salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Turn the oven to 475F.
- Toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on a large sheet pan. Roast until the squash starts to brown, about 15 minutes. Toss the leeks with 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and add to the pan of squash. Roast until the squash is tender enough to pierce easily with a knife, about 15 minutes more.
- While the vegetables roast, whisk the tahini and orange and lemon juices in a small bowl. Add enough water to make the mixture the thickness of cream sauce. Season with the garlic, fine sea salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and stir until they darken slightly and smell toasty. Scrape into a bowl, cool for a bit, and toss with the parsley and za’atar.
- When the vegetables are done, transfer them to a platter. Season with flake salt and black pepper. Drizzle with the tahini sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and scatter the walnut mixture on top. Serve right away.