This Sweet Potato Casserole is everything you love about the classic, retro dish (minus the marshmallows because #health). But, of course, this one has an added twist to elevate the traditional recipe even further! It’s perfectly sweet, complete with a base layer of whipped tahini sweet potatoes, and topped with a warm, spiced crunchy oat pecan crumble. The savory nuttiness of the tahini is the perfect counterbalance to the sweet potatoes and silan date syrup. The flaky salt adds the finishing touch to this warm, fall casserole.
*Use a vegan butter substitute to make this dish vegan.
For the sweet potato layer:
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1- 1½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter*
- 3 tbsp Soom Tahini
- 3 tbsp Soom Silan Date Syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
For the oat pecan crumble:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter*, melted
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- flaky sea salt, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a medium-large (11 x 7 or 2½ – 3 quart) baking dish with softened butter. Set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil potatoes for 20 minutes, or until they are tender and pierce easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, stir together the crumble mixture. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, pecans, brown sugar, melted butter, flour, cinnamon, and salt until moistened and crumbly. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add the butter, tahini, silan cinnamon, and salt, and mash until combined and desired consistency is reached. (You can also use electric beaters here if you like a smoother, more whipped potato consistency!) Taste to season with additional salt, if desired.
- Spread potatoes into prepared dish. Top evenly with crumble mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crumble is golden brown. Finish casserole with a few pinches of flaky sea salt.
- Serve warm.