We’re giving the classic Parmesan and butter-based dish a plant-powered overhaul. The combination of tahini, umami-rich miso paste, and nutritional yeast mimic the nutty-salty-savory notes of Parmesan and help create a silky-smooth sauce that perfectly clings to each strand of pasta. Add broccoli florets, mushrooms, or sweet green peas to round out this already healthier option.
- 1 lb dry fettuccine noodles
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp Soom Tahini
- 2 Tbsp white miso paste
- ¾ tsp coarsely cracked black pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Right before draining, remove 2 cups pasta cooking water and transfer to a high-power blender. Drain pasta, and place back in pot.
- Add hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and miso to the blender with saved pasta cooking water; blend on high for 45 to 60 seconds, until mixture resembles the consistency of milk.
- Pour mixture into the pot with pasta and set heat to medium. Use a set of tongs to toss noodles continuously for 2 minutes, until sauce begins clinging to noodles. Stir in black pepper and divide pasta evenly between 6 bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh chopped parsley.